Held at West Park, known locally as the “Show Ground”, Millom & Broughton Show is on the last Saturday in August every year. The field is easy to find: the first on the right running along the Coniston road and is a short walk from the holiday cottage. If you are lucky enough to be in the area, it’s a lovely way to spend a day.
The Show is relatively small – contained in the one field – but has lots to look at and enjoy. There are usually dog agility displays, fell racing, Cumberland wrestling and hound trailing, as well as all the livestock entrants, poultry tent and the fiercely competitive vegetable and flower competitions.
The tribe has variously entered edible necklaces, animals made out of vegetables, best handwriting of a poem and decorated wellies. More senior members of the tribe enter marmalade, bread and photographs.
Other local shows in August 2015 are:
- Wednesday 5 August: Cartmel Show
- Tuesday 11 August: Lunesdale Show
- Saturday 15 and Sunday 16 August: Lowther Show
- Thursday 13 August: Rydal Show
- Saturday 15 August: Gosforth Show
- Tuesday 18 August: Hawkshead Show
- Saturday 19 August: Patterdale Dog Day
- Monday 24 August: Keswick Agricultural Show
- Wednesday 26 August Ennerdale Show
- Saturday 30 August Dufton Traditional Show
- Sunday 30 August: Grasmere Lakeland Sports and Show